[lbo-talk] Marxism and religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 11:08:37 PST 2007

Which people are we more effectively talking to by attacking other people's religious beliefs?

I do not know how I managed to convey the impression that I thought Marx was saying something good about religion when in the last (not first) clause of the famous passage he called it "the opiate of the masses." His intent in using that simile is obviously critical as well as explanatory. However, the general thrust of the passage is explanatory, not judgmental. Marx, following Feuerbach, thought it more important to understand the origin and function of religious belief than to refute it. I don't believe he ever bothered to try to refute it. And in explaining it, he was not even attempting, particularly,, to undermine it in the manner of Nietzsche's genealogy. I think that like Feuerbach Marx believed that religion would "wither away" when and only when the circumstances that created a need for it had been abolished.

I think there is no point in speculating about whether Marx would rank Islam or new age religion as more or less progressive. In On The Jewish Question he does follow Hegel, sort of, in treating protestant Christianity as some sort of advance over what he calls Judaism, which OJQ is a very complicated document, and it is not entirely clear whether and when he means the Jewish religion when he discusses Judaism in that text. OJQ is also a pre-Marxist (that is, pre-historical materialist, still Young Hegelian) text, and it is uncertain and probably unknowable to what extent Marx would have stood by its claims, or those of any of his early writings, had he been asked. In some cases, for example in the recurrence of the theme of alienation, later writes show that he didn't change his mind; in other cases they show that he did. On the relative ranking of religions according to some criteria of progressivity, the later corpus is silent.