[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 63, Issue 7

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Wed Feb 28 17:24:39 PST 2007

> Sorry to say this, but by the standards of 2007, this is pretty
> radical.
>
> Doug

By the standards of the U.S., yes. But that's an index of how sorry things are here now.

> [WS:] Au contraire, I think it is quite pathetic. Releasing jail
> birds next
> to Israel and universal health care, but not a word on improving
> economic
> conditions, educational opportunities, or employment opportunities
> of the
> Black working class, or abolishing idiotic drug laws that keep
> prisons full
> and drug dealers in business. Yeah, right. Releasing criminals to
> neighborhoods already struggling with economic hardship, drugs and
> crime is
> exactly what the working class Blacks need.
>
> Wojtek

It IS pathetic, the most minimal, pathetic progressive agenda you can imagine. Everything on that list is either a defense of minimal liberal democracy or, at least arguably, in the long-term interests of capital. As far as releasing jail birds goes, wouldn't the most rational thing be to reduce the prison population by abolishing idiotic drug laws that keep prisons full and drug dealers in business - combined with an amnesty for the poor schmucks already in there for possession. You want to add some measures that are at least modest moves in the direction of Black (or any) working class interests, fine by me.

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com

http://morbidsymptoms.blogspot.com