[lbo-talk] Reasons to be cheerful

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 20:00:18 PST 2007

Dennis Redmond wrote:

>> Facing the real absence of any worldly project of
>> human liberation

> Fear not, the last time I checked, Chavez' ALBA, the

> Chinese developmental state, the Japanese postal
> savings bank, and the European Union are doing just
> fine.

The European Union is *NOT* a project of human liberation!

I am sorry Dennis, but this sort of political stupidity can only come from American europhiles who don't actually live in Europe.

You are an educated man, there is no excuse for continuing to remain in ignorance. EU parliament member Tobia Pflüger's website is as good a place as any to begin: http://tobiaspflueger.twoday.net/

Or even better, get the book he edits, Welt-Macht Europa:

http://www.imi-online.de/2006.php3?id=1355

Otherwise, please cease this irritating cheerleading for Fortress Europe. It's an insult to refugees who are literally dying to get into the fortress, to the politically marginalized groups subject to increased repression at the hands of the state, and to the Eastern Europe periphery.

I have no objection to people who say that the material standard of living in Europe is objectively probably quite better than in the States or Japan. I also have no principled objection to revolutionary defeatists like Carrol who advocate a defeat for the U.S. nation-state in the international arena by pushing for a united front against the U.S.(though I think the idea is wrong and shortsighted for other reasons, if correct in a Liebknechtian way).

But anyone describing the EU as a liberation project, has crossed the boundary from tactical considerations into pure mystification. And you depict yourself as something of an Adorno epigone. Perhaps the Adorno who called the police on demonstrating students. Certainly not the Adorno of _Reflexionen zur Klassentheorie_.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545367