[lbo-talk] Lerner re-takes Tikkun, plans less, though more loving, coverage of Israel

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Mon Jan 1 10:33:04 PST 2007

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for your note, and your kind words about the mag. I appreciate your line of questioning here. I don't want to let your long and thoughtful note go unanswered. Unfortunately, despite the contents of the Forward piece, there really aren't any serious philosophical reasons for my departure. I'm leaving because I've accomplished the editorial & business tasks I was asked to tackle upon being hired in 2004.

During this time, I've been under contract to write a book, and have made extremely slow progress on its completion. This Fall, I went through a period of reflecting back on everything I'd done, and figuring out whether I could complete my book remaining as managing editor. Given the depth of my responsibilities at Tikkun, I realized that I couldn't, and that I had to make a choice. I chose my book.

As much as it might seem as though there's some congruency between my blog entries and what my boss is quoted as saying in the Forward piece, there's none of consequence. As any Mid-East editor will tell you, such beats are ideologically charged & subject to enormous stresses. Nobody understands that better than Michael Lerner. In the case of liberal US Jewish periodicals, you can imagine what the deal might be.

As both a writer and an editor, I've always missed reading about the actual work that the many people in my editorial position do, and how they politically feel about the experience. Both Michael's words and my bog entries reflect that in two entirely different contexts. Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to do more of this before leaving. Those are just fragments. But I'll definitely be doing so more in the future.

Best Regards, Joel