[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 15:23:08 PST 2007

Pogrom does not equal killing of Jews, it means mass slaughter of noncombatants in this context.

Jews were killed by all forces in the Civil War. The armies in question were after all composed largely of illiterate anti-Semitic peasants. IIRC one Bolshevik cavalry division was so egregious in this regard that there was a hearing on it by the Party leadership.

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/1/07, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Somebody correct we if I'm wrong, but were not the
> > Anarchists almost the undisputed masters of the
> pogrom
> > during the Russian Civil War? They far outdid the
> > Whites in indiscriminate murder. Second only to
> the
> > Ukrainian nationalists.
>
> I have read conflicting accounts of Makhno and
> his army as
> regards pogroms. Far outdid the Whites in slaughter
> I rather doubt but
> evidence is there that Jews were killed by Makhno's
> forces. Peasants
> do these kinds of things according to Doss. Without
> looking in to this
> again (I did some googling years ago on this) I
> suspect that the
> historians who allege this, deny or engage in
> Charles Brownian
> apologetics for the Stalinized Bolsheviks.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Makhno+pogroms
> Cute turn around of a title by LDT. The Anarchist
> School of Falsification
> Moreover, "do not speak of pogroms alleged to have
> been organised by
> Makhno himself. That is a slander or an error.
> Nothing of the sort
> occurred. ...

flag.blackened.net/revolt/anarchism/writers/anarcho/left/letters/fifrimperialism.html

> MY DISILLUSIONMENT IN RUSSIA: CHAPTER 11
> Makhno bitterly fought pogroms, they stated; he had
> often issued
> proclamations against such outrages, and he had even
> with his own hand
> punished some of ...

dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/goldman/disillusion/ch11.html