[lbo-talk] Re: Re: 52 Lights for 3,000 US Military Deaths

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 18:23:44 PST 2007

My impression is I'm a lot more inclined to coarse language than the general public in the real world, so I keep anything potentially offensive out of all organizing talk. But then me and my friends, which is a mostly queer group, tend to say things like the below. You know, my intention is not to offend, and your probably right that "steelworkers sucking dicks" over the line for a public listserve. I do apologize.

But if you're wondering if I use the word 'homo' because I in fact support homophobia, or think hate is an acceptable rhetoric to organize with, this proud act up-er can give a pretty firm no. I was introduced to organizing in the philadelphia glbt community, but, maybe that makes me wrongly think I can take it for granted that saying homo instead of queer without it coming across as garden variety disrespect. It's been a long time since I hooked up with another guy tho so maybe that's straight priveledge for you right there.

For the record, I am completely in favor of steelworkers sucking dicks, and against fidel hating homos. But I will watch my mouth dennis. Projecting some sort of gritty workerist gay-bashing isn't my intention at all!