[lbo-talk] Stalinism's record (was Fidel)

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Wed Jan 3 13:58:44 PST 2007

Chris Doss wrote:

> I have no idea what you are refering to.

The delusional, by definition, treat their delusions as "facts". When you offer this as evidence for the claim that peasant beliefs were not psychopathological, I take you to be claiming that "delusional" is an empty concept because there is no way of independently establishing that e.g. paranoid beliefs about Jews are, in fact, paranoid.

> Right. The individual does not come first. The
> individual (in Heidegger) finds itself in a world full
> of meanings that have been passively absorbed by it
> (to the extent that Dasein, which is essentially
> dynamic and directed outward to the world, can be
> passive). Many of these meanings have been passed on
> by "history." The individual does not produce meaning
> -- rather, it discloses it in the process of
> interaction with the world. What is true is that for
> Heidegger (and he's right, IMO) history is always
> appropriated by the individual in terms of the
> individual's understanding of the present and future.
> History is a value-laden enterprise, to use
> non-Heideggerian language. To put it in mundane
> political terms, the way a US conservative interprets
> US history is different from the way a US liberal or
> radical or neo-Nazi or whatever will interpret it,
> because they are looking for different things in the
> light of their own contemporary political projects.
http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of- Mon-20060612/011887.html

Ted