[lbo-talk] Tower Records

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 4 12:20:52 PST 2007

Doug:

In the abstract, maybe, but I'm one of those bad people who don't buy CDs very often - I download stuff, lots of it legal even. And when I do want a CD, I get it from Amazon. I'm what killed Tower, and I don't feel too bad about it.

[WS:] I have little sympathy for megastores of any kind too, but his larger point still stands. He argues that easy access to what one wants seem to inhibit the exposure to things that one does not even know exist. And that seems to make a lot sense. Solipsism - that of the i-pod generation and in general - seems to be nothing more than escapism from the real world whose understanding often poses a difficult intellectual task into the fast food for thought, ready-made illusions manufactured by the pop culture industry or one's own imagination.

The short story "The Library of Babel" by Jorge Luis Borges http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/library_of_babel.html can be instructive of the madness of the "information overload" world.

Wojtek