[lbo-talk] Re: Tower Records

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 4 16:33:41 PST 2007

Members of the ipod generation, so-called, not only have access to more music, but have more control over what they listen to. It's very far from being spoon fed.

I think what he is lamenting is the way he browsed. He has to learn a new way to be exposed to music.

I sometimes feel that way about bookstores. I miss the tactile contact of picking up a book, leafing through it, being caught by a phrase or passage, and then buying the book. I have passed many wonderful hours in bookstores (which I think grew out of the wonderful hours I spent as a child in libraries).

Well put, Brian. That's exactly it. Browsing is something which always fascinated me about open stacks at Stanford University Libraries. The lack of same in closed stacks, like Hoover and the Biblioteque Nacional always frustrated me. I used to go to Tower just to peruse the collection, see what was there, pick it up, examine the liner notes. Guess I'm a dinosaur. I don't mind the new formats, Amazon, MP3 or any of that aspect of the commodity economy. I just miss the use-value of browsing stacks of recordings.

Best, Mike B)

Watch the communist manifestoon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oGIffyVVk