[lbo-talk] distribution of hman activity, was Tower R

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 4 19:07:48 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > It seems that entertainment can be just as good opium for the
> > masses as
> > religion. Forget about the traffic, forget about the lack of
> > efficient
> > transportation, affordable health care or being one paycheck from
> > homelessness, forget about the war, corruption, crime or lack of
> > prospects -
> > just put your earphones on and tune in.
>
> I not only think about those things all the time, I spend a lot of my
> life writing, broadcasting, and agitating about them. And I still
> love my iPod. I just don't buy this argument at all.

Yes. With the twist WS puts on it his argument is ridiculous. But after clearing away his sneer at the world, and putting it under some other heading than "opium for the masses," isn't there possibly here something worth exploring? We are dealing with the distribution of hman activity (time) under given historicsl conditions.

Carrol