[lbo-talk] Bollywood filmmaker to direct opera in Paris

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 22:46:15 PST 2007

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/05/arts/AS_A-E_CEL_India_People_Bhansali.php

International herald Tribune

Bollywood filmmaker to direct opera in Paris. The Associated Press Published: January 4, 2007

NEW DELHI: Leading Indian filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali will direct an opera in Paris next year, a newspaper reported Friday.

The Theatre du Chatelet has signed Bhansali for the project, based on a 1920's French literary work, The Times Of India newspaper reported.

The report did not name the opera, the novel or its author, and didn't mention which language the opera will be performed in.

"It's an honor," said Bhansali, whose recent Bollywood hits include "Black" and "Devdas."

"I think my operatic mode of storytelling in 'Devdas' convinced the Theatre du Chatelet to approach me," the daily quoted him as saying.

"Frankly, I was flattered but unsure whether I wanted to do it. After all, a staged opera is an entirely different discipline from cinema," he said, but added that he has always been fascinated by the art.

"The experience would rejuvenate me as a creative artiste, help me connect with creative spaces more openly."

Bhansali will be directing the opera in Paris from January to March next year, the newspaper said.

"I'm already very nervous. It's a very lavish production, involving a huge cast and production values," the daily quoted him as saying.

India's Hindi movie industry is known as Bollywood as it is based in Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges