[lbo-talk] I worship Thee, O Python

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 12:35:32 PST 2007

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> "The shaman would have been able to control
> everything. It was perfect," Sheila Coulson, from
> the
> University of Oslo, said.
>
> ^^^
> CB; I wonder how they know this. They can't know
> for certain that the
> people were superstitious in their attitudes toward
> this thing. Everybody
> may have been in on the
> ritual/theatre/mythologizing. Not likely that the
> "shaman" built it by him/herself.

That's what I thought. I would hazard that the "shaman," that is, priest, probably thought thet he or she was speaking as the god's proxy, that the god was speaking through him/her. Much as I don't think the Pope is consciously misleading the faithful. Westerners get so hypocritical on this subject when dealing with other cultures.