[lbo-talk] On Bush's motives

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 13:43:50 PST 2007

Doug:

And if I remember correctly he changed the spelling because the numerology worked out better

Yes, this is one of the reasons cited.

Hopefully, Yoshie will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 8 strokes are needed to write "Toyota" in Katakana. The number 8 has traditionally been considered lucky in Japan.

Numbers aside, Kiichiro also wanted to create brand differentiation from the well known Toyoda Textiles name. Not unlike Audi/Volkswagen (which were once quite different but are now almost identical) or Toyota's late 20th century creation of the Lexus luxury division.

.d.