[lbo-talk] Stalinism's record (was Fidel)

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Fri Jan 5 14:23:14 PST 2007

> --- tfast <tfast at yorku.ca> wrote:
>

> > > Now I will agree that peasant society sucked, and
> > that
> > > it was plenty brutal (still is, in its current
> > updated
> > > form). I would not want it back, my fascination
> > with
> > > the Cossacks notwithstanding. But what we are
> > talking
> > > about is a premodern mindset, which still exists
> > in
> > > many parts of the world.
> > >
> > You mean like Evangelicals in the US are pre-modern?
> > What a curious thing.
> >
> > Travis
> >

> The US is a strange country. But yeah they are kind of
> medieval in outlook.

See now it is odd to me that you could theorize anyone in the US as outside of modernity surely the evangelicals are strand of modernity, perhaps not an unadulterated enlightenment, but then where did that ever exist? Perhaps it is better to think of the enlightenment and modernity as a process with actions and reactions that are constituted from within the phenomena in question?

Travis