[lbo-talk] Stalinism's record (was Fidel)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jan 5 20:22:27 PST 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

> NO NO NO.
>
> If you must have a label for the evangelicals I suppose the most useful
> is "Postmodernist." They are radically different from Evangelicals
> 1700-1950, & calling them "medieval" is bizarre.

I've started calling them "Americanists" instead of Christians. We need a term that captures their ignorant take on Christianity and their fervent belief in American exceptionalism, the Protestant work ethic, and capitalism. Some of my atheist friends who came from fundamentalist backgrounds have pointed out to me how little some of these evangelical Christians know about their own religion. It's like they've adopted a lite version of bigoted Christianity handed to them by their religios leaders and then that is combined with this rabid, flag-waving American exceptionalism.

Chuck