[lbo-talk] Tower Records

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 7 09:24:18 PST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2007, at 11:56 AM, John Adams wrote:
>
>> By the way, am I a bad person for liking Shakira?
>
> No, esp if you have a video iPod!

Well, yes, which I don't, unfortunately. I'm pretty taken with Fixacion Oral, Vol. 1 without the visuals, though--oddly, the sixth song sounds almost like it could've come from _Plastic Letters_ or _Nunsexmonkrock_ or some other artifact of that moment.

But this actually is a question which has some relation to Tower Records: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakira#Personal_life

"In 2000, Shakira started dating Antonio de la Rúa, the son of then president of Argentina Fernando de la Rúa, a romance that made headline news throughout Latin America. In March of 2001, he proposed to her. During Fernando De la Rúa's presidency, the economy of Argentina collapsed, leading to the subsequently violent December 2001 riots; in response to the turmoil, Tower Records decided to no longer sell Shakira's albums [6] in Argentina as Antonio was directly involved in the management of his father's administration. De la Rúa and Shakira remain engaged, with future plans to marry."

I don't know a thing about current Argentinian politics, myself. Someone out there does, though.

John A -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/enriched Size: 1752 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20070107/d2f4cf83/attachment.bin>