[lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 11:16:28 PST 2007

On 1/7/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I find Ulhas' sources credible -- the line quoted is
> the old official Maoist line on homosexuality as it
> was the Stalinist line.

Well, let's keep in mind that Ulhas, turning to the same periodical Asian Age, also let us know that Iran's Ali Khamenei is "gravely ill" and will be replaced soon: <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20070101/026277.html>.

Now, the man is 67, but it doesn't look like he is dying and replaced just now. I'd have to say that Ulhas may have a tendency to get overexcited when he finds stories that make him happy. :->

As far as the news of the homophobic Maoist social cleansing campaign is concerned, the IANS, the Indo-Asian News Service, is the only news source, used by the Asian Age and all other periodicals (only a few in fact) which have carried this news. Shouldn't we wait till at least more than one bourgeois source confirms it before coming to a conclusion about it?

On 1/7/07, John Mage <jmage at panix.com> wrote:
> i plan (Marx willing) to be in Nepal for February, will check it out and
> report back to lbo-talk.

As soon as my Farsi improves, I'd love to do the same for Iran. But, the way things are going, Washington might put travel restrictions before that happens! I should have learned the language while I was an undergrad! -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>