[lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 13:11:54 PST 2007

On 1/7/07, Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Shouldn't we wait till at least more than one bourgeois source confirms it
> > before coming to a conclusion about it?
>
> No, we shouldn't. As a queer, I have long recognized the value of an
> aggressive posture: it is always better to approach a situation from the
> standpoint that non-queers will be seeking to preserve their privilege and
> advantage. Queers must continually pressure non-queers to prove that
> they believe in sexual liberation. Otherwise, non-queers are most likely to
> backslide. Just as the moneyed elite will always look after their own
> interests,
> the majority of the non-queer sexual elite behaves in the same way.

I don't dismiss the story out of hand, but, as you know from my postings on rape, child sexual abuse, and so on, I believe it is best to stick to well-documented facts, even when the matter concerns generally socially less powerful groups, such as women and children. The same goes for any other subordinated group, GLBTs, racial, ethnic, and religious minorities, and so forth. Well-documented facts are in the interest of the oppressed, as they are necessary tools for social struggles.

I just emailed the Blue Diamond Society to ask them, first of all, if the society's view on the CPN(M)'s policy toward gay men and lesbians is accurately described in the IANS dispatch. (One can't assume that the media quotes activists accurately.) Then, John can interview queer Maoists and other gay men and lesbians in Nepal. At this point, obtaining more information is the most important thing to do. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>