[lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 13:47:58 PST 2007

On 1/7/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In this case, however, the story is initially
> credible, because (as I said before) it is in accord
> with the tradition Maoist and Stalinist line on gays
> as well as with the norms of lots of third world
> modernizing societies.

Have you been following the Duke rape story?

> I don't think that in
> such circumstances judicious withholding of judgment
> is called for -- further investigation is called for,
> certainly.

Well, what's the point of investigation if we are already supposed to make judgment without it?

I'd err on the side of caution in cases like this, since nothing is gained by haste. One, if it is true, there's nothing we can do about it _immediately_, since it's happening halfway around the world, and we are not funding the CPN(M). Two, if it is false, our acting as if it were true does damage to the Nepalese, including the gay and lesbian Nepalese. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>