[lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 7 21:09:19 PST 2007

> Those who really care about GLBT individuals in Nepal have more
reasons than others to try to obtain accurate information about what's happening.

Such has been my life for over 20 years. But even when you gather the evidence, there are those who will want to downplay or apologize for it.

> Those who don't, well, the facts don't matter to them, do they?

The facts matter, but in a different way. Non-queers are very clever -- they will seem to talk positively about queers, but with the same breath diminish the importance of sexual liberation to people's physical and psychological well-being. They try to pooh-pooh it as a matter of identity politics.

Non-queers are relentless in their efforts to maintain their privilege. Look at Massachusetts: one vote down and two to go before they rescind the ability of queers to marry.

Brian