[lbo-talk] Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 8 06:34:41 PST 2007

> It seems to me, though, that LBO-talk subscribers, queer or
non-queer, had never exhibited any concern about the oppression of GLBT Nepalese at the hands of Gyanendra's Nepalese government

I can only speak for myself, but the oppression of queers both at home and worldwide has been a central concern of my life.

But it is not surprising that queer issues do not come to the attention of non-queers since their being blessed with sexual privilege can render queer issues abstract and far off to them. Most everyone has experienced hunger in one way or another. But few people have experienced discomfort with their gender or hatred of themselves for their sexual desire.

Also, many non-queers have issues over sex in general which make them reluctant to tackle sexual issues. Sexuality can be destabilizing both personally and culturally. I think that is why so many people want to push sexual issues to the fringes in the hope that they will just go away.

> I'd say that the Nepalese -- including GLBT Nepalese --
could have used LBO-talk subscribers' solidarity more when they were living under the emergency than they are now, when they are finally joining republican modernity like much of the rest of the world.

I disagree. It is just as urgent now. Moments of societal change offer the best opportunities for establishing the rights of sexual minorities. When things are up in the air is the best time to try to effect a paradigm shift on sexuality and gender. If a new normative is established that does not include queer rights, then queers will be in the same position as they were under the previous regime.

There is also the danger that a new regime will try to curry favor with the people by endorsing the homophobia they have become accustomed to in an effort to be perceived as being "one with them."

Sexual issues can be treacherous since they can cut so many ways. But I think it is important for leftists to start taking them seriously.

Brian