Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jan 8 10:31:20 PST 2007

Charles Brown wrote:

> As to criticism of BDSM, I think you two ignore the fact that there is a big
> problem of domestic violence against women in the world, certainly in the
> US. A big _left_ project is to get men to stop being "sadistic" toward
> women. So, it might help if you explained in detail how BDSM is actually
> only superficially similar to or actually not at all like domestic violence
> against women. For you to ignore this obvious question, and act so surprised
> that non-BDSM people have some questions about it is kind of esoteric on
> your parts.

Ignore the fact that there is a big problem with domestic violence?

WTF?

Where do you get off bringing that into this discussion? Why the fuck are you insinuating that I am ignoring domestic violence? I'm a feminist, fer chrissakes, who knows plenty of women who have been raped and/or been victims of domestic violence.

I can't ignore the fact that the overwhelming majority of that violence is being perpetrated by men with no interest in BDSM or other forms of kinky sex.

That's not to say that men involved in BDSM/kink are angels. The men involved in those communities are like other guys. But what bothers me here is your association of domestic violence with BDSM/kink. Do you understand that BDSM/kink is a form of *consensual roleplaying*?

Chuck