[lbo-talk] Sadism, Masochism and Consent

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jan 8 17:59:13 PST 2007

At around 8/1/07 6:50 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> In one, the recipient of abuse asks for it, even craves it. In the
> other, s/he doesn't. How could it be more different?

This helps me, but only a bit. My natural tendency tells me to look for additional substantiation for reasoning such as the above ("recipient craves it") which I find a bit behaviourist (for want of a better term). So, while it is believable that some/many/all S parts of SM relationships *think* that the M part is consenting (and wouldn't dream of *really* hurting someone), the situation may be more complex than that. And the use of the term "Sadism" doesn't help much. A mailing list (of this sort) is a good place to sort these things out, yes (for instance, the accepted definitions of "consent")? I would answer your questions about Mac OS and FreeBSD happily ... hell I have! ;-)

--ravi

P.S: changed subject line. Got tired of reading that typo.