[lbo-talk] Pain and Pleasure (was Re: Privelege)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jan 9 06:31:19 PST 2007

Yoshie F.

On this listserve, it seems to me it's only Charles now who isn't sold on BDSM. :-> But you know some people feel cooler when there are acting as if they were in a minority even where they are the majority.

Now, for Charles, here's a primer on pain and pleasure: scientists say pain and pleasure work with the same brain chemical and activate the same part of the brain.

<http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/2001/Dec14_2001/research_briefs.html>

Pain and Pleasure Activate Same Brain Structures

^^^ CB; Thanks, Yoshie. Yes, there is actually already sort of folk knowledge of this paradox; "tears of joy"; tickling can demonstrate this. Dialectics: things turn into their opposites.

(I don't know if I'd want to tell rapists and domestic batterers about this science. Yikes !)