(Class and Kink) (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Privelege (Was Re: Maoist cleanup . . . .)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 08:36:01 PST 2007

The Marquis de Sade and (Ritter) von Sacher-Masoch (the namesake of masochism) were both aristos. Point of interest: Marianne Faithfull is a descendant of Sacher-Masoch. But Sade's sadism has nothing to do with modern BDSM, leaving out the voluntary element and escalating to real cruelty, and Sacher-Masoch (Venus in Furs) goes over the top (though voluntarily) with pain and humiliation. He quits, though, in Venus in Furs. There are both aristo and haute-bourgeois elements mixed up in the Story of O, though O herself is a worker/artist -- a fashion photographer. Aristo fantasies are important to a lot of people do are interested in this material, see Anne Rice's Beauty books (much inferior IMHO). One the other hand the Bondage/S&M Queen of America, Bettie Page, is resolutely middle/working class.

http://www.marx.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/jun/29.htm