(Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:57:22 PST 2007

This was a funny thread. What an orgy of masochistic debate! It was very emblematic of everyone's tropes, too (in a good way, I mean): Bitch with a fierce summary of the twists and turns the issue took in intra-feminist culture wars, with a dash of shut-the-fuck-up-if-you're-just-gonna-be-ignorant. Doug plays devil's advocate with an example of what reasonable left opposition to BDSM would be, which isn't much noticed as Charles puts his foot in his mouth and everyone else hastens to help put theirs up other places of his, and Chuck aggressively offers to talk about his sexual desires. Joanna says she doesn't much care for it herself and strangely asserts all kinks are unfree (reminding me of an old onion headling "Area Man Has Naked Lady Fetish"--- is all sexual desire of, say, nudity also unfree?), which carrol rebuts (seiously!) with a version of a joke from the 30s left! Yoshie, surprisingly, has a provocative position that insinuates that all leftists on the list are either wrong or windbags, and again displays her powers of computer-referencing obscure studies or information on the subject (I wish whatever yoshiepedia she uses during these debates would be offered by google someday). Ravi meanwhile made pretty funny jokes. I should stop but everyone else also ran their cariacatures to the hilt too, a dozen strange songbirds singing an lbo harmony, Sadism and Sadrism, from one day to the next.

Might I close with a quote from the cannon of my own culture, lyrics from the great homocore pop-punk band Pansy Division and my own personal theme song on the subject (ironically there's one line in the song that betrays the whole left suspicion that BDSM is inherently oppressive, anyone spot it?).

I'll do you sexual favors But i'm not into those sexual flavors Sometimes i wish i was braver I'm vanilla I know about ropes and whips Handcuffs and nipple clips That's something i'm gonna skip I'm vanilla If i really get into you Maybe i'll sing a different tune But im timid, i'm telling you I'm vanilla People should do in bed Whatever pops into their heads But talk to me before planning ahead It's gotta be mutual So you're into discipline It turns you on the more i sting You're liberal, but fantasize right-wing I'm vanilla You'd like some skinhead boy To be your bootlickin' bedroom toy That's fine if it brings you joy I'm vanilla I'm happy to fantasize Do whatever might arise But even though i like surprises I'm vanilla You know i'll never be As kinky as you want me to be If that's not enough variety Tie someone else to your bedpost -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070109/04870597/attachment.htm>