[lbo-talk] Class and Kink

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 9 13:49:07 PST 2007

Chris: Woj, aren't the Poles famous for glamorizing the aristocracy?

[WS:] Yeah. If you listened to their bragging, every other Polack has aristocratic pedigree (the pre war census data show that landed gentry constituted something like 0.5% of the population). My #1 was of aristocratic descent (by the paternal line - her father was a nationalized land owner, "between jobs" since then) - so I got a fairly good exposure to that crap.

But there are also writers like Gombrowicz (Ferdydurke) or Dolega-Mostowicz (Career of Nikodem Dyzma - plagiarized by Jerzy Kosinski as _Being There_) who mock them mercilessly.

Wojtek