[lbo-talk] SEIU on Schwarzenegger's health care proposal

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 9 22:00:45 PST 2007

SEIU Sees Promise in Governor's Goal to Provide Health Care to All Californians

Plan Raises Questions About Individual Risk and Public Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, and Trauma Centers

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Service Employees International Union (SEIU), California's largest union representing 650,000 workers and the nation's largest health care union representing one million health care workers, commends Governor Schwarzenegger's efforts to assure all Californians the health care they need regardless of residency.

SEIU members and leaders have eagerly awaited Governor Schwarzenegger's proposal since his recent promises to extend health care to all Californians. Ensuring that every Californian has access to quality, affordable health care has long been a priority of the union.

Nevertheless, SEIU has questions about the specifics of the Governor's plan, particularly its transfer of health care risks and costs onto individuals through an individual mandate and its effect on public hospitals, emergency rooms, and trauma centers.

"We appreciate the Governor's goal to cover all Californians. One issue we need to consider carefully is shifting the risks and costs of healthcare to individuals," said Sal Rosselli, President of the SEIU State Council as well as of United Healthcare Workers West, which represents over 140,000 healthcare workers in California. "We must ensure that employers shoulder their share of the cost of insurance and not place too great a burden on workers."

"Public hospitals play a unique role in our community, and we have real questions about how this proposal will affect this critical part of our public health systems. No one knows when they'll need an emergency room or a trauma center," said Annelle Grajeda, General Manager of SEIU Local 660, representing thousands of workers in Los Angeles County public health facilities. "But if and when we do, we want it to be nearby, well-staffed, and capable of delivering the highest quality care."

SEIU State Council commends the Governor for taking a step forward as healthcare is such a basic human need for people. Nobody should worry if they have coverage when they need it, be forced to delay their retirement, take a job they don't like, or give up their dream of starting a small business just to get health care.

SEIU wants to work with the Governor and legislative leaders to ensure that all Californians regardless of their health, employment status, citizenship, or ability to pay, be able to get the health care they need when they need it. "We are dedicated to winning this for all Californians through the legislative process in 2007 or, if need be, through an initiative in 2008," said Rosselli.

SOURCE Service Employees International Union; SEIU

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-08 -2007/0004502188&EDATE=