[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jan 10 08:25:25 PST 2007

Charles Brown wrote:

> Again, it is obvious and common sense that BDSM is a little bit weird,
> "weird" being defined as what most people think is weird. Instead of
> admitting that ,and making a respectful argument as to why it's shouldn't be
> considered weird, you take the path of trying to make out that BDSM is just
> obviously wonderful and some kind of more advanced sexuality than "vanilla
> sex".
Look at it this way: throughout human history, people have engaged in various kinds of sexual activity. Is a particular sexual act "normal" or "weird"? It's nothing more nor less than the social consensus of people in a given group. For instance, anal sex: in some societies, it's deviant sexual behavior; in others, it's completely "vanilla" sex. There is no need to make a respectful argument about why anal sex (or any type of sex!) shouldn't be considered weird; rather, we need to recognize that a given culture "makes" certain types of sex normal or weird. In sum: CB, hang out with some BDSM folks for a while, and you'd "get" their culture and see how BDSM can be "normal" sex.

Miles