[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 10 13:47:07 PST 2007

> On Jan 9, 2007, at 11:03 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>> The idea that BDSM is somehow a sexual straight-jacket when compared
>> to other sex practices strikes me as very odd as does the idea that
>> the consent involved is anything like the coerced consent of wage
>> laborers.
>
> I do think consent is a thornier issue than I've seen pro-bdsm people
> acknowledge in this discussion. I don't think that means bdsm is wrong
> per se, just that saying "it's consensual" isn't necessarily the end
> of the story.
>
> All the best,
>
> John A

So what am I missing? Why is BDSM consent a thornier issue than consent for straight sex? How could it be any different? This seems like a red herring. If we're throwing out red herrings how about worrying about a link between BDSM practitioners and child abuse too? Maybe BDSM and tax evasion as well?

Also has anyone ever demonstrated a link between BDSM and criminal abuse of individuals? I don't know of any such link and no one has posted one here during this discussion as far as I know. That makes fear of some tenuous connection between the two seem unrealistic too.

I'll debate the idea that kinky sex is politically radicalizing, I doubt it but I'm open to research to show I'm wrong. It would hardly be the first time.

I did read Woj correctly, he doesn't denounce BDSM practices but he doesn't condone them either. The reason we on the left need to condone them is that currently people are discriminated against because of them. That demands our support doesn't it?

John Thornton