[lbo-talk] Sex and Stuff

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Jan 11 09:38:25 PST 2007

At 12:20 PM 1/11/2007, Miles Jackson wrote:
>joanna wrote:
>
>>But this is willful misunderstanding; I was replying to something Brian
>>was saying, which I can't find now. My point was that we have sex when we
>>are romantically in love or horny and that this is sufficient motive
>>energy -- no script needed. And I drew an analogy to eating when we're
>>hungry.
>
>But what you're treating as "unscripted"--romantic sex--is a social
>norm! Being "in love" and having sex to express that love is a complex
>product of social and historical forces; it is not just your own
>individual, "unscripted" experience. Just as with eating, sexual impulses
>are always channelled and shaped by social and historical factors; there
>can be no "spontaneous sex" unsullied by social "scripts".
>
>Miles

i'm sorry. but all I can think about through this conversation is the spontaneous sex of the characters is Quest For Fire. bend over to wash at the river, someone pokes a little fun atchya from behind, hurls you to the mastadon interrupting said activity of spontaneous sex.

i should get out collins and quote the section on ritual. can't be arsed at the moment.