Aristocracies, was Re: [lbo-talk] Class and Kink

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 11:31:01 PST 2007

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> [WS:] Perhaps my analogy was a bit too farfetched.
> The point I was trying
> to make was that Polish nobility was not homogenous
> - and that the great
> majority of them were not that wealthy, albeit they
> enjoyed a much higher
> social status than peasantry.

I don't know about Poland, but some of the Russian dvoryane (nobility) were pretty fucking poor. For them it was a title, social status and not much else. Some even sold themselves into slavery IIRC.

Certainly in Russia most peasant uprisings were of the sort of the Pugachev Uprising (Pushkin's great -- snd short -- _History of Pugachev_ is a great account of this event) or the pogrom. Short, bloody and pointless.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.