[lbo-talk] Minutemen protest New Year baby contest

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 17:54:44 PST 2007

Minutemen protest New Year baby contest reversal

AccessNorthGeorgia.com

PHOENIX, Az. - The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps (MCDC) cites the actions of Babies "R" Us, a division of toymaker Toys "R" Us, for their "mishandling" of their "First Baby" contest - in which Gainesville's first baby of 2007 was originally declared the grand prize inner.

MCDC says its an example of "corporate America's malfeasance" and says such actions continue to provoke an increase in illegal immigration" throughout our nation, and has started a petition drive admonishing Babies "R" Us for "supporting lawbreakers."

Jayden Swain was originally declared the grand prize winner from among four babies around the country born at the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve. But immigrant advocates soon began protesting when they learned one infant had been disqualified because of a contest rule stating that the parents must be legal residents of the U.S. Over the weekend, Babies "R" Us declared all four babies grand prize winners of a $25,000 savings bond and other prizes.

The Minutemen Rather says "rather than uphold the rules of their contest or support the immigration laws of our country, Babies "R" Us has caved into the pressure from the open borders lobby, thereby amplifying the pre-existing illegal immigration crisis plaguing our country. "

"Babies "R" Us and other large corporations, needs to understand that their actions serve as encouragement to illegal aliens who trample our laws and threaten our public safety" said Chris Simcox, founder and president of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps. "We cannot allow corporate America or our government to spurn more illegal immigration, and therefore we believe it is important for citizens to sign our petition and let them know how we feel."

The petition Minuteman petition says, "We the undersigned do hereby request that Babies "'R" Us and their parent company Toys "'R" Us abide by the laws of this country and take the appropriate actions to ensure that their contests and business practices do not encourage an increase in support for the actions of illegal aliens, who have already violated the laws of the United States. As a legal taxpayer of the United States, I shall not purchase products or services from companies that choose to encourage individuals who will thwart our laws and threaten my public safety."

©Copyright 2006 AccessNorthGa.com

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=110554