[lbo-talk] Re: Sex and Stuff

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 12 05:27:36 PST 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> John A:
>
>> What does consent mean if the person consenting has
> been in restraint for an afternoon when the consent is requested?
>
> The consent is requested before the scene starts.
>> What does consent mean if the person consenting is two
> years into a master-slave relationship?
>
> That they have a much better idea of what they are consneting to.

What I'm getting at is that the ability to consent freely changes over time, and that some practices can be directed to change that ability. Under some circumstances, I'm not sure free consent is possible any more.

>> I'm trying to bring in the psychological side. There, I think
>> questions
> of consent become more meaningful, and the ethics of the practice
> become more difficult to work through.
>
> At the beginning, but once you get used to the new territory, it is
> quite simple. Like moving from playing college ball to professional
> ball.

I'm not unsympathetic to your practice, Brian, but your point of view about it is, I think, a bit simplistic.

All the best,

John A