[lbo-talk] Moderation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 12 14:23:25 PST 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>To the limited extent I've followed it, this voluminous sex chitchat of
>>late appears to be the list's most stupefyingly irrelevant discussion in
>>the many years I've been here.
>
>I don't want to reopen this, but sex is pretty important stuff.

Sex is number one on humankind's list of top favorites by all accounts. Far be it from me to sneer at anything to do with sex. I just question the *timeliness* of having a meandering bandwidith-consuming exploration of the id at a time when first-magnitude historical events are unfolding in Washington. The LBO list can have a chinwag about the libido any old time, but this is a very special time, since a desperate George Bush has put the US on the potential glidepath to World War III. The eve of global war isn't something that happens that often and is deserving, IMO, of more list discussion.

>Ralph Waldo might have considered his body part of the "not me," but I'm
>not with him on that.

It is my understanding that Emerson was on excellent terms with his body and never went anywhere without it. It is also my understanding that Emerson's "transparent eyeball" was quite attentive to and appreciative of feminine charms.

Carl