[lbo-talk] The vanden Heuvel Church of the Obvious

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 19:27:19 PST 2007

On 1/13/07, Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I regardless of the content of this video, does anyone else get the
> feeling of complete and total revulsion when they see one of these
> video blogs? Something about the whole format-- completely still
> camera, boring background, a lone individual with no sense of what to
> do with their body or face; the badly lighted frame and grainy
> resolution.

You should watch some of the Deaf video blogs. Totally different experience -- some of them (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwhiA7-qsj0) are practically professionally produced standup sketches, while others (http://youtube.com/watch?v=c497XYX9BLo) should be accessible even to people who know no ASL at all.

YouTube & video blogging make a huge difference to the Deaf community.

In some cases, especially for Deaf people who aren't so comfortable with standard written English, it makes blogging accessible for the first time.

(Theresa Nielsen-Hayden pointed some of these links out on Making Light a while back.)

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air--however slight--lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- Justice William O. Douglas