[lbo-talk] Inorganic Intellectuals and the Mythical Ideal of theMarxist Tradition (Re: Moderation)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 14 09:15:44 PST 2007

Class is a relation and a process, not an identity, a categorization of life styles, a job description. No empirical description, therefore, can reveal class. It has been a long time since I read Gramsci, cut I will venture a hypothesis -- the concept of "organic intellectual" is relevant only during periods of heightened class conflict. In other periods such might or might not exist, cut would be invisible, even to themselves, if they did exist. "Intellectual," too. is not an identity but a process.

Carrol