[lbo-talk] God is not a name....

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 14:02:12 PST 2007

Joanna:

I've been seeing these bumper stickers in the bay area

God is not a name; it's a job description.

I have no clue what this means or what it might mean. Any ideas?

I believe this bumper sticker is popular with people who follow 'non-traditional' religious practices such as, for example, 'New Age' enthusiasts and neo-pagans.

I've only seen it for sale in stores (both bricks and mortar and online) catering to this belief niche.

The meaning, as near as I can tell, is that the word 'god' does not describe a single entity whose characteristics are detailed in, for example, the Bible but is, as the bumper sticker says, a "job description."

So there is no one 'God' (the only true owner of the word) but beings who exhibit abilities that place them in the god category.

It's a blurby call for a resurrection of the pre-monotheist point of view.

I for one am all for dusting off and bringing back several gods: from the Greeks, Aphrodite and Ares and, from the Norse, Thor.

Some new gods would be good too. Perhaps Techne ('skill' in Greek, I think), who could be the goddess of the age of thinking machines.

.d.

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.

Larry Fine

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/