[lbo-talk] (Guardian) Comment is free: Should egalitarians support Chávez?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jan 14 17:30:45 PST 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:19:56 +0000 "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes:
> >From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
> >
> >What you guys don't understand is that Pug is
> >our very own Sidney Hook ...
>
> I had forgotten all about Sidney Hook. Now that you mention him,
> I'll
> forget all about him again.

Hook was a funny guy. Actually, I think that his early work was quite important, such that I think it was a travesty that Tom Bottomore's *Dictionary of Marxist Thought* completely ignored him. Having said that, Hook was largely responsible for the fact that he has had such a poor reputation among progressives. In recent years people like Cornel West and Christopher Phelps (and even our own Justin Schwartz) have helped to rehabilitate his earlier work for progressives. And BTW here is a link to my review of Hook's *Towards the Understanding of Karl Marx*.

http://www.crimsonbird.com/history/hook.htm