[lbo-talk] Saddam Died Beautiful (The eXile gets all misty-eyed over Saddam)

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Mon Jan 15 04:19:11 PST 2007

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Reading Brecher requires a good deal of filtration to

> remove the adolescent, faux tough guy I-don't-give-a-fuckism

> and get to the point (a similar noise to signal ratio

> problem marred his essentially solid analysis of Hizbollah's

> battlefield effectiveness).

Among other things Brecher's shtick is intended to out-do all the other tough guys. It succeeds too; otherwise whenever he'd criticize the American way of life in general and Our Leader in particular, said tough guys would blow him off braying, "Aren't you a big girl's blouse! Just like those utter girly-men John Kerry and John Murtha."

Everybody says Baudrillard was full of shit, but you've got to love how, in public discourse these days, a bunch of typewritten faux-tough words by a fat guy sweating in Fresno are a far better defense against dismissive accusations of wimpiness than having earned a Silver Star in combat.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net