[lbo-talk] Saddam Died Beautiful (The eXile getsall misty-eyedover Saddam)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:12:44 PST 2007

>From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>All this yadda-yadda about beautiful death by hanging reminds me of the
>>memorable eulogy for the suicide-by-hanging character Francis Hinsely, a
>>Hollywood has-been, in Evelyn Waugh's "The Loved One":
>
>Yes, one of the best black comedies ever: a send off of American-style
>life, death, and self improvement: Milton Berle, Anjeanette Comer, Rod
>Steiger, Jonathan Winters, and Robert Morse.

One of the best indeed. Rod Steiger never topped his performance as Mr. Joyboy, and Jonathan Winters --- playing the uber-entrepreneurial Blessed Reverend, owner/proprietor of the Forest Lawnish cemetery "Whispering Glades" -- never had a better line than when he discovers that Whispering Glades -- with its promise of luxurious eternal repose -- is worth far more for real estate development than use as a graveyard: "How do I get these stiffs off my property?"

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Fixing up the home? Live Search can help http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG