[lbo-talk] UAW slams troop surge

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 07:17:32 PST 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 11, 2007

CONTACT Stephanie Mueller 202-730-7842

ANDY STERN STATEMENT ON IRAQ WAR

Americans Against Escalation News Conference

The following statement was given by SEIU President Andy Stern at the Americans Against Escalation news conference on January 11th at the National Press Club in Washington, DC:

I love this country, as do the members of our union.

We are grateful for the opportunities it provides, and certainly want to insure that America retains a strong national defense.

Many children of our members have chosen to serve this country in the military and we are proud of them.

Issues of national security are complicated, and we are certainly not experts, but we do appreciate that judgment in these matters is essential.

President Bush this week provided his version of previous wrong judgments made by his Administration about Iraq. We appreciated this belated acknowledgement, and it establishes a record of failed strategic thinking.

This current judgment of the President to escalate the war along the lines Senator McCain proposed for months will, I strongly believe, also soon join the list of other failed strategic initiatives.

I stand here believing that the President's proposal fails to learn the lesson of the last two military escalations in Baghdad since June.

Fails to learn from the incredible consensus judgment reached by a bi-partisan group of recognized leaders led by Secretary Baker.

Fails to follow the judgment of his military commanders on the ground

And fails to hear the judgment of the American people for a new direction.

The decision by President Bush is the wrong direction, the wrong judgment, and is a step backwards that puts our brave soldiers in greater danger.

It is time to begin to allow the Iraqis to take over the future of their country and begin to bring our troops home.

###

With 1.8 million members, SEIU is the fastest-growing union in North America. Focused on uniting workers in three sectors to improve their lives and the services they provide, SEIU is the largest health care union, including hospitals, nursing homes, and home care; the largest property services union, including building cleaning and security; and the second largest public employee union.