[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Inorganic Intellectuals and the MythicalIdealof the

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 16 08:05:27 PST 2007

"queer dewd formerly known as ( )" wrote:

> >Self-criticism presupposes some formal organizational context. Otherwise
> >it is mere individualist griping.
>
> !!! well, radfems are famous for denouncing everything as 'individualist'
> so i'm sure they'll appreciate this.

I should have added that without formal organization as context what you have (legitimately) are polemics -- looking forward to some sort of organization. Judge those "denunciations" by whatever principles you bring to the judgment of polemics. Criticism has to proceed in terms of mutually agreed principles. Abstractly, so do useful polemics but much more general, looser. I never read mpug (or most responses to him) because he is simply in another world of discourse; no shared principles whatever in terms of which we could debate each other. (Obviously we have a continuum here rather than sharp & impermeable boundaries, but my elbow hurts too much to explore further.

Carrol