[lbo-talk] Politicians know what is good for the voter. Really!

Jack Stewart jackguy at newsguy.com
Tue Jan 16 11:32:10 PST 2007

Politicians know what is good for a voter. Really!

You don't believe me? Maybe I should explain that I am talking about congressional leadership elections. Elections were only politicians can vote. NOW you may be willing to accept that, under that special situation, politicians probably do take the interests of those particular voters to heart.

NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR OUR POLITICIANS Politicians Like Runoff Voting - For Themselves!

Common people like us may be forced to vote for candidates in plurality elections, the type of election that allows a candidate to win without the support of the majority of the voters, but professional politicians apparently use a runoff system.

NOTE: A more complete explanation of plurality, and runoff elections is provided at end of this text.

ONE DOCUMENTED EXAMPLE ============================== Pryce Reveals Election Day Details http://tinyurl.com/b7984

"House GOP Conf. chair Rep. Deborah Pryce (R-OH) sent letter to colleagues today detailing the schedule of events next Thursday, when the party is set to choose a replacement for Rep. Tom DeLay. .....

On 2/2, the conference will meet to vote. After nominating and seconding speeches, voting begins. Candidates need a majority of the 232 voting members -- at least 117 votes -- win. If the first ballot doesn't produce a winner, the candidate with the least number of votes is removed and balloting continues until a majority is cobbled together." --------------- Note: According to an email reply on the IRV mailing list - "This is how all congressional leaders are elected."

Could this be true? If true, I wonder how long it has been going on. ==================================

To think that I never believed politicians when they claimed that they knew what was good for the voter! How wrong I was! When they are the voters they seem to know what is good for the voter.

Jack

The Problem with Plurality Elections

http://www.fairvote.org/index.php?page=746

The Variety of Runoff Voting Procedures