[lbo-talk] Inorganic Intellectuals and the Mythical Ideal of the Marxist Tradition

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 12:54:48 PST 2007

According to the National Endowment for the Arts, "fewer than 3% of all books published in the U.S. . . . were translations," writes John O'Brien ("A Simple Question," Context, No. 14, 2003, at <http://www.centerforbookculture.org/context/no14/simpleQ.html>). In contrast, says O'Brien, "In Western European countries, the percentage of translations is about 40-50% each year. Many of these are from the United States, but a significant number are from a wide range of other countries." I submit that American intellectuals are not cosmopolitan at all.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>