[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Inorganic Intellectuals and the Mythical Ideal of the

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Jan 16 14:22:15 PST 2007

At 8:51 AM -0500 16/1/07, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>Now the thing about Yanks is that, basically, they are all populist.
>
>Interesting. You suppose that's why we have one of the highest
>poverty rates and most unequal distributions of income in the first
>world? Why we're such an imperial monster? And why being
>cosmopolitan and cultured makes you a sissy?

Partly maybe, I'm not sure. The US electorate certainly gives populism a bad name.

Anyhow, why does it bother you if people think you're a sissy? Caring what the public think only confirms you're a populist. Fuck the drooling peasants, their opinions about your virility surely matter less than the opinions of the beasts of the field. ;-)

Look, I hand out how to vote cards for Green Senator Bob Brown at the Bracknell polling booth on federal election days. In this town the Greens and particularly Bob Brown are not terribly popular. (Even though he actually lives in the area served by the Bracknell polling booth.) In fact I suspect that some people think I must be a poofter to support Bob Brown. However the brutal truth is that I don't particularly care what most people in Bracknell think of me. It genuinely doesn't interest me, I'm just not that insecure as to care.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas