[lbo-talk] Majority of U.S. women not marrying

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:45:34 PST 2007

On 1/16/07, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> Interesting trend
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/16/MNG5BNJ69L1.DTL
>
> Joanna
>
> ^^^^^^
> CB: Does this imply that close to a majority of American men are not
> marrying ? I guess if there are fewer men than women, then a minority of
> women could tieup a majority of men.

There is a great deal of disparity between races: "Only about 30 percent of black women are living with a spouse, according to the Census Bureau, compared to about 49 percent of Latino women, 55 percent of non-Latino white women and more than 60 percent of Asian women" (Sam Roberts, "51% of Women Live without Spouse," New York Times, 16 January 2007, <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/16/MNG5BNJ69L1.DTL>).

I take it that's in part because Black women have a stronger preference for autonomy than other women and in part because many Black men are too poor or caught up in the criminal justice system to marry. That means that gainfully employed heterosexual Black men such as yourself may be in high demand. Racially oppressed, but individually lucky. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>