[lbo-talk] Re: "doing it"

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jan 18 07:41:50 PST 2007

Jim writes:

> I'm no hippie, but this whole social eruption of young ladies
> all doing the porn star-style shaving thing, strikes me as a
> totally annoying contrivance manufactured of a sudden by a
> media that's getting more over-sexualized by the year ...

I think it's just the tail end of what started a while back when Victoria's Secret re-framed lingerie as both a "secret" (get it?) pleasure for the wearer (help me out ladies, especially you hippies: say what you will about VS, but they *have* advanced the state of the art in comfort at least, and don't forget that the majority of their bra revenue is from DD and above!) and a "secret exposed" the (presumably unsuspecting) recipient of the secret. Like getting let "in" on a joke. Some tattoos are like that (the ones that only "some people get to see" -- again, the secret), and I think this trend is too.

It's different from the overt pressures from fashion, etc., because by the time you get to see the handiwork, all the judgement is long past. You're not going to let just anyone see that landing strip, so it's the reward not the bait.

So yeah, I think you're a hippy. In the Cartman sense.

/jordan