[lbo-talk] What's the deal with conservatives, economists, and the minimum wage?

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 10:57:23 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> So far as I know there's no data to support the assertion that raising
> minimum wage causes unemployment. I would think it would even things
> out: maybe some jobs are lost, but others are gained because the many
> poor have more money to spend.

Yeah, that was my thesis in the paper I did on this subject for my Econ101 class. Actually, it wasn't that things "evened out", it was that the number of jobs that were gained as a result of increased spending power exceeded the number of jobs that were lost.

Can't really remember any of the details of my argument .... but it was made convincingly enough to get an A from a teacher who'd already told us that raising the minimum wage causes unemployment, anyway ...