[lbo-talk] What's the deal with conservatives, economists, and the minimum wage?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 00:48:03 PST 2007

Robinson's always good to read.

It's not just IPOs that deny the "law" of supply and demand, but the whole luxury goods sector. People buy Phillipe Patek watches _because_ they cost $20K, likewise Rolls Royce, fancy pens, or the $2200 bottles of wine I saw at a restaurant recently. (We had the $12 per "glass" -- half glass really -- house wine. Dinner for two was still $300+, with tip. Well, it was our anniversary. ANd the food was really, really good. Les Nomades on Ontario St. in Chicago, in case you come to town and feel like blowing your bankroll on fancy nouvellle cuisine. I can recommend cheaper places too.)

And services. In big time corporate law, where I have worked as an associate attorney, you cannot compete with the big boys by attempting to offer the same services at cut rate prices. (I briefly worked at a firm that did this, disasterous place in every way imaginable.) The clients will think there's something wrong with you if you aren't charging them $500+ per billable hour, even if they scream over every paperclip and refuse to pay until subtly threatened with lawsuits themselves.